Thursday, May 8, 2008

BYU Women's Conference 2008



What an amazing spiritual feast, not to mention the unabashed joy of being with my daughters; Laura, Linda, Joanne, Carol, Stacey and Anna Bearden (for whom I'll happily be surrogate) Except for missing Brenda, everything has been perfect, even the cool weather has been to my liking.




The many lectures renewed my desire to "awake, arise and come unto Christ. For me the pervasive message was to be aware of the influence I have, can have and will have. Example is a teacher and when coupled with principles of why I behave the way I do, backed by scripture and the words of today's prophets, I may have the opportunity to direct many lives to the knowledge of the truth and the plan of salvation. My greatest joy would be to see all of my posterity have the advantage of this knowledge. I also hope that my influence is and will continue to spread beyond the walls of my home. Sis Beck said our ancestors did not pay the dear price they paid for us to spend hours at the mall and get pedicures. The comment struck a chord with me and I'm going to be more anxiously involved in serving others rather than myself.

(Martha Johnson, a presenter this year joined Laura and Stacey.)

Being in the Marriot Center with thousands of other LDS women as we welcomed a prophet, Thomas S. Monson, into our midst was an experience I hope I never forget. There was a spirit there that confirmed once again that the mantle of prophet is his. When he walked into the room there was complete and total silence and then spontaneously from all areas we began to sing We thank Thee of God for Prophet. His talk was one of encouragement. At the conclusion as he left the stage, he stopped to speak with a woman in a wheel chair and then he waved and turned to acknowledge the audience on all sides. It was a sweet moment.


I am so abundantly blessed to have been here. Thanks to everyone with whom I rubbed shoulders during these two uplifting days.











Mother has rebounded with all the activity around her. She's been sitting up to get in on all our conversation, which, with so many women has been everything, noisy to chaotic. But oh so enjoyable. Choice days . . . .

I had no camera , so those who took these wonderful pictures sent copies, and made me, as the cliche says, "One happy camper".

Thanks Anna and Carol.



We enjoyed a yummy meal at Los Hermanos and yes, sweet moments of tranquility. . .













along with ample frivolity; Joanne, Carol and Anna had entirely too much fun. Of course, they didn't send the photo of Carol being hoisted in the air -- too much 'backside', Carol said.



Oh, my children, how I enjoy being with you.

4 comments:

Anna B. said...

Charlotte, thank you so much for so warmly including me with all of your wonderful girls! I had such a great time. The conference was wonderful and I feel so much more hope and peace. I too, am looking forward to next year already. I have some of those pictures of which you speak. Would you like me to send a few as attachments so that you can post them? I still need to burn the CD of ALL of them for you guys (Carol, Joanne and you).

Much love and gratitude,
Anna

Carol said...

So glad that we could enjoy women's conference together! What a wonderful time to laugh and learn together. I feel so blessed to have such amazing women in my life. I love you mom, Laura, Linda, Stacey, Joanne, and Anna! (We missed you Brenda, but are so happy for you and your soon-to-be baby girl!)

Carol said...

Mom,
I love the addition of the pictures. It really was so fun. I LOVE YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Women's Conference was a glorious experience with fond memories that will not soon be forgotten. Good thing Carol and Anna had cameras. Glad you were a part of it all. Love you, Joanne