Last night I attended Michele's band concert and LOVED IT. She sat middle front row and held her flute beautifully. She's just a pretty picture anyway. They played music from the movies and the members were dressed to depict someone or thing from the entertainment world. Michele wore an authentic red poodle skirt. The concert was lively and certainly did entertain us. Madelyn who sat on my lap got right into it and led the music with her arms going right with the beat.
Kate was off to her choir concert-- but I got to talk to her and hear some of her original melodies for a few minutes. She had been selected by her teacher to be in a music video. She is also a beauty who happens to have an exceptionally lovely voice. I've loved hearing her sing as she goes about her tasks at home--when I've been lucky enough to have been there.
And the night before last I was able to watch McKenzie, Darby, Gabrielle, and Lily dance in their recital. Their movement and the music expressed a wonderful wholeness. They were beautiful!
Well, these girls simply represent all of the beautiful children in my posterity. Wow! But,I want to make an important point, MUSIC. Children who hear and begin to make music at early ages have their "k-lines" set so abstractions can begin to blossom. In other words when we make music, we are making a mind. What an easy and wonderful way to expand our children's development, giving them greater opportunities to learn. If they're not involved in music, get them involved - even if it's as simple as singing to them and having them sing back--or as Anne has done for me, creating her own special melodies -- and lyrics. And of course sacred, thoughtful music has a spirit about it that touches our spiritual natures and generates a deeper awareness of our divinity.
So, let the music begin. . .
Friday, May 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This has motivated me to play more music for Kate. I was so good about playing classical music for Eli but have lost sight of it lately. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks for letting me learn how to play the piano and then encouraging me to practice.
Post a Comment