Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ultimate Survivor---Mom/Tutu


Mom is finally home after nearly three months in the hospital, specialist hospital or nursing home. Not surprising then, she's very weak. What can we expect? She was ambulanced to the hospital back in early February for high fever and inability to move. Since, she's had her knee scoped out to clean out MRSA and to repair a torn miniscus, had a pic put in (took them a grueling 45 mintues because of her collapsing veins) so she could be on intravenous antibiotics for over a month, had a colonectomy, and then a colostemy, all on or since her 90th birthday, February 22. She developed a pressure sore within her first week in the hospital which is still fairly deep, perhaps the diameter of a silver dollar or more. She has multiple sores on her legs and arms and her skin is very fragile. It tears like paper. She has congestive heart failure so she's on diuretics to reduce swelling. She has a pace maker which is mostly doing its job but she still needs meds to keep her heart pumping regularly. She unwillingly takes over a dozen pills each day to keep her systems in check.

Yes, she's a survivor. We kid about her nine lives, but she has surprised us time and again with her come backs.
Partly, or perhaps mostly, it is because she has Dad as her support system. They have the ultimate relationship, an exemplary marriage. And miracle of miracles, aside from little moments of mentally being somewhere else in time or place, she knows just what's going on, amazing!!!!

Being home the last two days has given her a perk. She still cannot stand by herself but we can manuever her with a little dance, her arms around my neck and then a shuffle to get her placed. She has been put under hospice care and her new aid is Alecia. Alecia is much stronger than I, thank goodness. She has a sweet dispostion as home health care workers must. She will see Mom every week day until we decide differently.

I'd planned to drive back to Boise today but I'm staying here until after Women's Conference on May 3 when David will be baptized. I hope that by then Mom will be stabilized and we will have a better idea about future plans.

D&C 58:2. . . he that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven.

3 comments:

Carol said...

I am soooo glad to hear that Tutu is finally home! I am glad that you are able to be there to lend the help they need. I love you and your willingness to serve.

Also, I LOVE your blog. You have changed it a lot since yesterday and I am so proud of you. (I knew that you would love doing this once you got started.)

I hope you have a fabulous day!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Go Tutu!!!!!
Thanks Mom for helping out.
Nice blog!!!
Love, Laura